Green Technology, also known as environmental or clean technology, refers to the production of clean energy that conserves natural resources and doesn’t disturb our environment. It creates products that are more environmentally friendly. These products either protect the environment or repair the damages already done to the environment. Its main goal is to slow down global warming, promote the use of renewable resources, emit zero or low greenhouse gases, and focus on sustainable living.
Why It’s Important
Green Tech’s aim is to protect the environment. It actively slows down the effects of climate change, reduces pollution, and helps the air quality. More and more countries are choosing to create and develop new green technology. By doing so they are protecting the environment and improving the well-being and quality of life of their communities
Green-tech can also help reduce emissions and slow down the effects of global warming. Regardless of the pandemic, 2020 was one of the warmest years ever, and the future will only continue to get warmer. Our responsibility as a society is to challenge global warming and slow down its effects, and green tech promises to do just that.
As a growing industry, Green Tech is creating new jobs and enhancing economic development. It is one of the fastest-growing sectors of employment. Major companies such as Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Tesla, and many more, are at the forefront of transitioning into sustainability. By creating and using environmentally friendly technology, we can continue to see an increase in environmental jobs, awareness, and transformation in big tech.
Examples of Green Tech
- Solar Panels: Did you know that the amount of sunlight that impacts our planet for 1 hour is enough to generate the entire world’s energy consumption for a full year? Yes! Solar is the most abundant source of energy on Earth. Solar panels transform sunlight into usable electricity for homes and businesses. Even though installing solar panels can have higher upfront cost, it offers your family or business long-term benefits that will last for generations.
- Wind Energy: Wind Power turns naturally occuring airflow into electrical energy. This is a clean, cost-effective method that doesn’t pollute the air. Wind turbines, used in wind farms, are the most common example. These are usually spotted on big fields, along hills, and within farms. These giant wind turbines can be very expensive to install, however for larger companies it saves money in the long run. Investments like this have had an incredibly positive impact on the environment. At a smaller scale, there are also other options like Small Wind Electric Systems. While less common, these wind systems can be used to partially or sometimes fully power residential homes.
- Wastewater Treatments: A treatment process that removes contaminants and pollutants from wastewater and makes it usable again. After it’s been processed and monitored it can become drinking water for communities or reused for various purposes. Wastewater systems can last up to 15 years making them very cost-effective. This method reduces waste and minimizes environmental pollutants.
- Recycling and Waste Management: Recycling is the most common green tech we know and most of us have already incorporated it into our lives. It is the process of turning waste materials into new products or items. After all, recyclables have been collected and processed, they start the process of manufacturing it into a new product. Recycling saves energy, conserves resources, and creates new jobs. Here is a Recycling 101 guide that can help you recycle properly.
Start Small at Home
- If you are ready to reduce your carbon footprint you can either slowly incorporate green tech at home or start by making small changes that can create a big impact on our environment.
- Consider adding some green technology at home for example energy-efficient lightbulbs. Swap your light bulbs for LEDs. You can also start using energy-efficient appliances like Energy Star appliances.
- Many electrical devices continue to use energy even if they’re not being used. Unplugging all wires from outlets when not being used not only can help you save money on your energy bill, but it is also good for the planet. Using Smart Power Strips is a quick and easy solution, they automatically sense the energy demand and cut off the power supply to fully charged devices. They also cut off supply to devices not in use.
- If it is time to upgrade your vehicle, consider getting an electric car. This is a great alternative that helps reduce CO2 emissions and slows climate change.
- Start carpooling to work or, if your job is considering staying fully or partially remote after the global pandemic, be an active voice in this discussion. Working from home is not only eco-friendly but it is also budget-friendly
- Switch over to a Carbon Neutral energy and gas company. Choosing companies that have shared values and want to help preserve our natural environment is a great way to actively make a positive impact. Here at Renaissance Power & Gas, we want to provide you with cleaner energy choices by offsetting 100% of the carbon output. We are continuously making contributions to various green projects to help our cause. Learn more about us here.
Climate change affects our daily lives. We have seen its impact on our environment and we need to help slow it down. Green technology plays a big part in the solution, and it is important to be aware of how it works and why it matters. Caring for the environment makes us happier and gives us a better quality of life. We hope after reading this article you have learned more about green technology and are ready to implement small changes that make big impacts.
Follow our blog for more tips on sustainable and eco-friendly living!