Looking for ways to give back to your community? Here are our top tips for creating happier neighborhoods.
- Choose an organization in your area to sign up with as a volunteer – time is valuable, and even if it’s just once a month, this can and will make a difference.
- Donate your gently used unwanted clothes and household goods to a thrift store. Not only is this a great way to keep additional items out of our landfills, but you’re also helping people who may not be as fortunate as yourself.
- Try to find a neighborhood cleanup event that aims to remove litter from the streets and sidewalks, or set one up yourself!
- Support local businesses and farmer’s markets. You vote with your dollar, and every purchase you make is creating a demand for more of whatever product you put your money towards. Choose local, organic, sustainable, and fair trade wherever possible.
- Spread kindness. You never know what could be going on in someone else’s life, so whether it’s your cashier at the grocery store or a stranger just passing by, a smile or a “how are you?” can go a long way towards improving someone’s day.
- Bring donations to your neighborhood food bank.
- Pay a visit to your local animal shelter. Spending time with animals can be very therapeutic, and you can bet they will appreciate the extra care and attention.